TheCapital

OML 29: NOSDRA Dismisses Spurious Claims On Volume Of Oil Spill, Says Well Non Producing, Contains 80% Gas And 20% Crude

 Breaking News

OML 29: NOSDRA Dismisses Spurious Claims On Volume Of Oil Spill, Says Well Non Producing, Contains 80% Gas And 20% Crude

OML 29: NOSDRA Dismisses Spurious Claims On Volume Of Oil Spill, Says Well Non Producing, Contains 80% Gas And 20% Crude
December 04
07:33 2021

The National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA) has dismissed claims from several parties on the volume and cause of ongoing leak from Aiteo’s oilfield at Nembe, Bayelsa, as guesswork.

Aiteo Eastern Exploration and Production Company (AEEPCO), operator of the NNPC / Aìteo Joint Venture on OML 29, had in a statement issued on November 9, 2021, reported an oil spill from a non-producing wellhead in its Santa Barbara South field, in Nembe Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

However, 25 days after the leak was reported, Bayelsa State governor, Douye Diri, who visited the site on Wednesday attributed the leak to equipment failure. He also alleged that about two million barrels of Bonny Light crude stream had polluted the Santa Barbra River and Nembe Creeks.

However, Director-General of NOSDRA, Idris Musa in an update video published on the spill regulatory agency’s website obtained on Friday, said that only a Joint Investigative Visit (JIV) would determine the cause and volume of spill.

Musa said that such positions being canvassed by different interest groups were prejudicial to the statutory investigation which was hampered by the ongoing leak.

According to him, NOSDRA has been monitoring developments at the spill site while officials deployed to the spill site are keeping an eye on the oil recovery process.

He noted that the agency relies on empirical evidence to draw its conclusions and emphasised that until the spill was stopped and the affected well examined, it was premature to suggest the cause.

Musa said that it was also premature to estimate the volume of crude spilled so far given because the well was a non producing well consisting 80 percent of gas and 20 percent of crude.

He, however, said that records at the agency’s disposal indicate that some 4,150 barrels of oil and water residue had been recovered as at few days ago, adding that a JIV report would estimate the total spill volume.

THEWILL recalls that President Muhamadu Buhari had on Nov. 25 directed the Minister of State for Petroleum, Chief Timipre Sylva, to empathise with the impacted community and ensure adequate response took place

But the Global Director/Coordinator, Aiteo group, Andrew Oru, who visited the incident site on Thursday, said that the leak was being contained as foreign experts engaged to stop the leak were close to target.

Oru said that the pressure of the spewing gas and oil had reduced drastically while intensive oil recovery was ongoing to reduce impact on the environment.

He further said that the oil firm had sent a second batch of five truck loads of relief materials including food items, medical supplies and sanitation items to lessen the adverse impact of the incident on the people of Nembe.

Oru also said that the claims that an estimated two million barrels had leaked since the leak started on Nov. 5, were spurious and baseless.

According to him, verified reserve from the well was nothing close to the volume claimed.

 

State of States: Akwa Ibom

About Author

Mujeeb

Mujeeb

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment